University of Iowa - Iowa City
|Master's:|| Science Education
|Endorsed:|| Chemistry, Biology, & Mathematics
- Currently Employed With:
Created a schooling option in tandem with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and The Gazette Compaines (IA) that utilizes:
- Competency and Mastery Based Assessment
- Community Generated Problems
- Portfolio and Resume Building
- Design School methods
SourceMedia GroupCommunity Builder
Charged with building things and connections: Iowa Transform Ed
Solon High School Science/Math Instructor – 2008 - 2013
Planned, executed, and assessed instruction in:
- Physics I: Energy & Mechanics
- Physics II: Electromagnetism and Modern Physics
- Calculus: Differentiation and Integration
- Vector Calculus
- Computer Programming I: Markup, Design, and Scripting
- Computer Programming II: Object-Oriented Design
- Computer Programming: The Processing Language
- Geology & Meteorology
University of Iowa Lecturing Professor – 2011 - Present
097:105 - Societal and Educational Applications of Physical & Chemical Sciences
Sharing lesson ideas for science and math.
- BlueHarvest Feedback.com:
ThThTh Industries LLC Owner, Developer
Designer, programmer, and manager of BlueHarvest: Assessment Through Feedback.
- Speaking & PD:
After working with students, my favorite thing to do is help other teachers
think of awesome lessons and explore educational experiments. Consider shooting me an
email to set-up and Inquirist's Cookbook session with your STEM teachers
- 3.2013 - Inquirist's Cookbook - Prairie Lakes AEA
- 2.2013 - Bacon-Wrapped Lessons Workshop - with Trace Pickering & IowaTransformEd
- 2.2013 - Graettinger-Terrill SBG introduction
- 10.2012 - Chicago Area Association of Physics Teachers
- 10.2012 - Noyce Scholarship Seminar - Grading Matters at Least One Order of Magnitude More Than You Think it Does
- 10.2012 - Global Math Department
- 08.2012 - School Administrators of Iowa Conference - Competency-Based Ed. Experiments and Teacher-Built Simulations
- 07.2012 - Rotary Club of Cedar Rapids, IA - Dealing With the Fear of Being a Boring Teacher: Year Five
- 06.2012 - University of Iowa Modeling Workshop - Assessment Within the Physics-Modeling Framework
- 05.2012 - Global Physics Deparment - Assessment & Misconceptions & Fremilab
- 01.2012 - Keynote AEA8 Superintendents - Teachers as Experimentalists
- 06.2011 - Ignite Education - "A" Through "F": A Silly Thing
- 05.2011 - TEDxEastsidePrep - Pointslessness: The Future of Education Without Coercion or Toy Economies
- 06.2011 - American Reason Radio - Systemic education reform. Featuring Dr. Tae.
- 06.2011 - Iowa State Modeling Instruction Workshop - Education's Dirty Laundry: Assessment
- 05.2011 - Wisconsin Mathematics Council, Presenter - Assessment: A Journey of a Thousand Chagrins
- 09.2010/02.2011 - University of Iowa Methods in Secondary Science Education, Guest Lecture - Inquiry Techniques Motivated by Technology and Assessment Reform
- 07.2010 - Grant Wood Area AEA - Motivations and Experiences Using Standards-Based Assessment
Think Thank Thunk Nominated for edublog of the year (11-12) and best teacher blog.
Practicum Students Hosted:
Edited the ACT Science Test 2011
Provided consult to ACT for their science sub exam on prior knowledge concerns, relevancy, and
Modeling Physics ISU Summer Workshop 2011
Participated in a Modeling Physics workshop (a la Hestenes). Modeling physics trains teachers to surgically destroy misconceptions and to help scaffold ever-increasingly complex models of the natural world.
Plasma Physics Laser Technician – 2004-2008
Designed, built, and maintained diode laser systems for plasma diagnostics.
Geophysics Electrical Surveyor
Designed and fabricated a unique resistivity surveying system for use with <10m archaeology.
Condensed Matter Physics Programmer
Conducted internal investigations into the electronic structure of several unique Indium-Arsenide quantum dot structures in an attempt to invert angular momentum states.
Iowa Children's Museum Curriculum Designer
Designed and conducted courses for students enrolled in ICM enrichment courses. Topics included: Weather, biology, math, chemistry, and the philosophy of science.
- Web Development:
I make web apps:
- Favorite Technologies:
Computer Programming, Mark-up, & Design
- CSS3 & Sass
- MySQL & PDO
- GIT & Capistrano
- Publications & Awards
- Iowa Science Teacher's Journal - "Managing the Coupled-Inquiry Cycle Through Faux Grant Writing"
- The Science Teacher. Invitation to Inquiry. December 2010, Vol. 77, No. 9.
Music Performance and Recording
Instructs students in guitar and bass guitar. Numerous performances and recordings on guitars and percussion.
Cooking Personal Chef 2006 - Present
A fully apprenticed French sous chef, with experience designing menus for 2-50 persons.
Charcuterie Curing and Smoking
Bacons and Briskets, Hams and Hocks. Email to order.
Brews and Tinctures Beers and Bitters
Specializes in stouts and gentian bitters.
Tolkien Studies Philosophy & Moralism
Studies the concepts of marriage, love, and servitude through the lens of the ring. Paper forthcomming.
, I'd much rather sit down with your group and hash out some sweet actionable plans for killing boring.